Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Let's use the Public Buses to go to Puerto Armuelles

 
 
Last weekend we joined a group from Boquete and went to Puerto Armuelles, on the Pacific Coast. It was a bit of a to-do to get there. The rest of the group rented a car, however with five of them, there was no room. Which was really fine with us. We want to get used to the transportation system. It is a very good system. There are a lot of people who use it and it is very efficient. There are a lot of people who use it.
 
We met some lovely friends through the Goughner's in Lyndonville.... Andrew and Anna. They are super sweet and took their time to meet us at the Kingdom Hall in Bugaba, about halfway to Puerto. We went to a cute little restaurant and had milkshakes! A little different than at home, but Andrew learned how to tell them to please make them a little thicker than water. They were very refreshing. It was hot in Bugaba. But it didn't kill us. Eating is not quick in Panama, but it is very easy to eat lunch. They serve one meal. But it's a lot of food, and it always seems to come with a fried plantain... yummmmmy. We even got to see their apartment. Carl is giving the talk in Bugaba this coming Sunday. I'll post pics of their apartment... you'll love it.
 
 



Then we hopped back on to the bus. This was our third bus. Unfortunately, we didn't get on at the beginning of the line... there were a lot of people on the bus. A lot of people use the bus. This is not even standing room only, because they just keep adding people. I don't think there's a limit. And the bus to Puerto is a small bus. The people in Panama are smaller then we enormous gringos, so it's not usually a problem for them. Poor Carl.



So after a lot of prayer "please let someone get off so Carl can sit down" Carl was finally able to sit, and then I was able to sit. However, an older lady got on, so I gave her my seat. The people here are so wonderful. I had my backpack, so another older woman insisted on holding my backpack on her lap until she got off. But, boy was I worried. We had a lot of money in it for the brother to rent his room, and our passports were in it. And, as more people got on, I was moved further away from my backpack. But then when she got off, she asked the money-keeper where I was and then she blew me a kiss and passed my backpack to Carl. It was so precious.
 



But then more people got off. When someone wants to get off it's a real production, because there is no squeezing by. So everyone standing has to get off the bus, let the person off, and then get back on. AND NO ONE COMPLAINS. So eventually I got a seat in the absolute back of the bus. And a little girl sat on my lap. She was cute as a button. I tried to talk to her and her abuela (grandmother) and tried to witness to them. It was a two hour bus ride, so we played games, and she taught me Spanish words. It was hilarious. They got off at the same place as we did, so we exchanged phone numbers and they hugged me like crazy. I have no idea what to do with that number. probably give it to a Spanish - speaking sister.
 
Jatilla and Marciela

So we made it to the house where WE ALL were staying. It was a big house, but not quite big enough. We made it work. It's an old bosses house for the Chiquita Banana company. It must have been something in the day. But in the short time that Chiquita has been gone, things have really fallen apart. The company built all kinds of infrastructure and houses, etc. and kept it up. But things are falling apart quickly. If you look carefully at the window frames, you can see that some of them are white... good, and some of them are brown... dry rot, bad. But the brothers were very hospitable. It was a very enjoyable weekend.

Saturday was a great day for service. It was hot, but these UV umbrellas really work! Some of the girls had pretty umbrellas (sad face). As with many of the halls, lots of friends, no cars. So we walked.


Carl did a great job keeping this group together. It wasn't hard... such sweet girls. All of a sudden this group has gotten a lot of help. These sisters are fairly new to the area. But everyone is the same "I'm here, I'm working, Tell me what to do"
 



I love this picture
Shayna, Jessica, Jinnice



 
 
This is Andrew, from Belgium. His is a sad story and now he feels like he has no country. He is a foreigner everywhere he goes, even in his own home-country. So he saw us coming and said he knew that we were Jehovah's Witnesses... one can always tell. He said he felt sorry for using us, but he really needed to vent and have someone to talk to in English. But he after a lengthy conversation he just was not interested in God, because he believes in science. That's okay, we said, but we would like to leave you with this brochure on the origin of life. it's science... you'll love it. he wiggled a bit, took the brochure and said words that I enjoy hearing... " I'm just too old to change now."
 
It was a chink in his armor. He budged just a little bit and Jehovah saw the move. What will happen?
 


I'll do a separate post for the birds and one for the flowers, but I couldn't resist this guy.

 
 
Amy and Bethany



We are looking for English speakers. So if the householder doesn't speak English we ask if there is anyone "en la area que habla englais" in the area that speaks English. At one house the man came out from the shed like a shot when he heard my poor Spanish, and tells us to follow him. And up a hill behind his house is another little house. he hollars and a young man comes out. His name is Willy. He speaks a little English and we really had a nice conversation with him. He also graciously taught us some words. But he loves the Bible and wants to go to the hall. Will he?

 
 
This place was cute, but she made the absolutely BEST jugos fresco (fresh juice) squeezed by hand



Jordan, the brother we stayed with, meeting us for service.


 
Jordan, leaving us, he was sick and with the heat he just couldn't stay out (sad face)



We worked a neighborhood, seriously one house right up against the next. The people were REALLY inviting. They would invite us in and want to take care of us. If anyone even barely spoke English they wanted us to stay. It was refreshing, even amidst the scorching temperatures. This lady's name is Elizabeth. I introduce myself as Elizabeth to the Spanish speakers, because Beth is very hard for the to pronounce. She was so proud of her granddaughter, who speaks English. So she invited us right in. Her granddaughter DOES NOT speak english any more than I speak Spanish. But they were so excited that the "misioneros" came, that we couldn't just leave. So Monique and I sat and muddled through, picking us some ideas here and there. Monique was new to Panama, also.
 
When we finished, placed some tracts in Spanish and English, and I asked if I could have a foto de familia, and they graciously complied, leading us into the living room, when I was suddenly struck with horror. I turned to Monique, who had my camera, and said, "NO not in front of the Christmas tree!" And lo and behold that's where we were, right in front of the Christmas tree. So I said ...  no no no .... too dark, bamos (let's go) and I pointed and said la flora (flower) and plantar verde (green plants). They were disappointed, but they complied. They're so sweet, these people. (mostly)



Carl and Eric. Eric is here with his wife and three small boys. They also just moved here.
Super terrific family.


Brother Cantrell and Ken. The Cantrells are visiting. The Cantrells have Eric Stockwell for a CO!
Ken and his family live here. We only met his younger son, Lucas, who is a gem.


Monique
 
There were many good experiences in our group. Some with English speakers, most with Spanish speakers. But the bottom line is that so many people have come and there may be some changes in the future for Puerto Armuelles, that they just don't need us right now. We both loved it. And we would have stayed for our two months and would have wanted to return, however, they don't need us. Boquete doesn't seem to need us and Puerto doesn't need us.
 
What next? We thought we had it all planned!


3 comments:

  1. Beth is doing such a wonderful job on this blog. I hope everyone is enjoying it as much as I am. We have very little time to do much more than eat, sleep,work, and most importantly preach. The fact that she is finding any time to do this is truly a testimony to her love for the friends and her want to have ALL of you involved in this blessing. Please keep reading! Carl

    ReplyDelete
  2. We also love to hear your comments!!!!! If you are like me and do not know how to comment, please e-mail Beth and she will help you figure it out!!!! Love you all and miss you greatly...Carl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth is doing a great job! I love reading and picturing myself there!! Elsie

    ReplyDelete